Monday, February 20, 2006

When Dreams come True! ( Part 3)

I still remember the day my family and friend sent me off in KLIA... it was the proudest moment in my life... for me it was the greatest achievement of all, to be able to embark on a mission all by myself.... i knew that this would be one experience that will definately be able to put me at a better edge compared to my other friends, it would definately be am experience that will change the way i saw things in life.. it would be one experience that will bring me a long way in life... but most of all.. it would the experience that will change me forever...

But everything was different now.... i was doing an AIESEC internship with a citizens movement in Bangalore, India called Janaagraha. It was an organisation that believe in participatory democrasy. I was in charge of handling the HR department of the organisation,mainly recruitment, project allocation, and training. It was everything that i was looking for in the internship! Working with Janaagraha was indeed a dream come true... It changed my point of view on so many things about people, about the priorities we have in life, about the difference of work style, opinions, culture... yes CULTURE... Many of you might think, that being a Malaysian born Indian and doing a traineeship in India might not exactly challenge me in the area of culture... well, think again, cuz it surely did! I went with several misconceptions about india, judging the country from what i saw in the news everyday, or from what my grandpa would tell about his life when he was young in India...But staying and working in India for 5 months really made me realize that India was not just the india that i saw and heard about... There were many things that i didnt know or assumed about the country.

But anyways, after a phenomenal internship that changed my direction, priorities and life forever, i returned to Malaysia-and awaiting me was my destiny!!!
For the first time in my life, i new exactly what i wanted out of it! And for the first time in my life, i got myself the best job one could ever dream of! I joined the AIESEC Malaysia National Committee 2004/2005 a.k.a The DreamTeam2004.

If there was something my all time idol in AIESEC,Chuang Yik had taught me, was to never judge the organisation, the people and yourself by just attending one or two weekly sessions... Being part of the board was like a dream come true, some change in my destiny alright... but at that point, this is what felt right and it was definately something that i had to do for the organisation, my people and most importantly.... for ME.
Together with an extraordinary team i started this journey. It was quite challenging for me, from being a leader of an LC , who would have thought that being a leader in the National Committee would be so different. Suddenly AIESEC didnt seem to be the same organisation that i was part of... it was so different seeing the organisation from a completely different level, perspective and having to live up to the expectations of my team mates and also the LCs. It was definately something i didnt imagine it to be.... but rather... it was even BETTER!