Saturday, June 23, 2007

Jordan- an experience to have!

My Visit to Jordan:


As part of my transition and a surprise gift from Ildi and the rest, i was told that that i would be required to go to Jordan for a meeting. JORDAN!!!! I MEAN JORDAN!!! It was extremely cool. And together with Gee and Martin I set out on my journey not knowing what to expect..

Now what was also interesting, just on my last week in Malaysia, Prakash Etta came to Malaysia for a brief visit. I had not seen Prakash etta in 14 years and it was really great to see him again. So even though it was my last week and things were extremely crazy for me that week, i had to take some time off to hang out with Prakash etta for sure! Because when else would i see him again? 14 years down the road perhaps!

But anyway, when Ildi gave me my tickets and said, " Anisha you have to go to Jordan for meeting with PSUT" something started playing in my head.... Hmm... Jordan, very familiar something recent connecting to Jordan was playing in my head. I was trying to think who i know from Jordan...immediately Oksana ( the current MCP of Jordan) came to my mind and as soon as i remembered Oksana immediately i jumped because i remembered telling Prakash etta before he left that " Yeap i will try to come to Jordan sometime, i even have a friend called Oksana there.... "
Yeap prakash etta was also in Jordan!!!!!! Gosh.... i was not only going to see him again but also his family-Jaysri chechi and the kids....

Prakash Etta and Family: airport and dropped Gee and Martin off at their hostel and brought me to their home which was extremely comfortable and really nice. Prakash etta and chechi went out of their way to make my stay so memorable and comfortable. They made me food everyday, chechi even packed Well, just like how Sami velicha treated us in India, Prakash etta and chechi took care of me and my friends really well that 5 days. They picked us up from the meals for me and my friends so that we wont need to eat outside. They brought me to the university everyday for my meetings and brought me back as well. We had great chats in the evenings and they showed me around Jordan. I even got to visit Archita's graduation... it was really special. I actually felt very much part of their family. Chechi was amazing, she is an extraordinary cook and she is a really nice person to talk to. We actually had good conversations around many topics and i actually felt that i was very similar to her in many ways.

Thank you etta and chechi for making my visit to Jordan such a memorable one. Love you guys so much and good luck for your future :) Let me know where you guys decide to go to after this ya?

AIESEC in Jordan: Thinking back I think the most memorable and meaningful moment i have had so far comes from my visit to Jordan. There was this one night when we were having dinner with the MC's of Jordan- Monica,Oksana, Annika, Saba, Mo, Asier and the rest...i was so inspired and touched by these individuals who have all come from various backgrounds, countries, experiences,cultures and so on- but all here in Jordan for one reason, to see the young people of Jordan grow and develop through the establishment of yet another chapter of AIESEC in that country. Going through the challenges of being in a different country/culture, throwing themselves out of their comfort zone or even leaving behind some of their other priorities in life, these guys put their heart and soul to be able to make a difference for the people and the community that now they call home.
So guys, thank you for sharing with me your special moments and experiences during my visit to Jordan. Thank you so much for showing me one part of AIESEC that i had not seen/experienced for myself as i started and ended my 6 years of AIESEC only in Malaysia.

You guys are my real inspiration :)

Work in Jordan: Oh well, work in Jordan was fine, it was a different kind of working environment after having worked on AI for 2 weeks...where everything was about structure and process :P Well here, it was more of a ....ermm.... less structured and less complicated kind of a environment. Which clearly some of us were not used to.... :)

Visiting Jordan: Dead Sea and Petra
It was amazing!!!! Only 2 things that were quite challenging for me... Petra- i had to climb 900 stairs to reach the peak! Fuyoooooooooooo... i was almost going to die when i reached. Thanks Martin and Gee for making sure i reached the top and not give up on the
498th stair! :) And dead sea.... hehehe.. the challenge was that we were not prepared for the trip la... because as soon as our meeting was over, the university arranged for a car to take us there... and of course no clothes... no nothing.. only formal stuff! Well, it was easy for the guys, cuz they could just pick up any shorts or something from any store... but for me.. ermm.. lets say, the process is more complicated la... So anyways that was challenge 1... but as soon as we reached, Gee dragged me to go at least get a shorts to go with my formal shirt and get into the sea... well...i felt bad and so i let him convince me in buying this really striking blue pants la! :P

Another challenge was that, as you all already know, the dead see is known for its high level of salt that is present in the water. It is said that the water and the mud/sand in that area is extremely good for your skin. And due to the high density of salt, it is said that nothing can sink it the sea and so when you get into the water you will tend to float no matter how you try to get into the water.

Well so anyway, as soon as i got into the water, i felt all my blisters in my feet burn as the salt water touched my skin.... okay its okay... its just helping me heal the wound... lets try to float now... hehehe... and okay.. good i could float really easily.. thats good... and now enough of floating, lets try to stand up!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!! I cant stand up!!!!!

Yeap thats right, i tried very hard to stand just could not get my feet to touch the ground... i panicked a little and got salk water in my eyes instead! *ouch* Anyway, i tried to calm myself down, and shout for Gee or Martin to come rescue me... it was extremely hilarious... sometimes i even had unknown people help me to stand up :)
So after a while, i made myself to the shore and played with the magical mud instead! :)
So that is it! I had an awesome time in Jordan, both personally and professionally! I think it was the best way for me to start my term on AIESEC International :) Looking forward to my term, that's for sure :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, thank you for this story and the pictures - so funny to see you in the mud :-) I haven't bathed in the Dead Sea yet, but it's definitely an item on my things-to-do-list (note to myself: make sure you have no blisters on your feet)

12:37 PM  
Blogger v k i n i s m said...

Nice... very interesting :) Yeah, and now you made me want to go to the Dead Sea too and try to stand up! :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger saba said...

aww babe - i just read your blog! :) i'm so touched..and so glad that you had a great time, and you're welcome back in jordan anytime :)

hugs from your office ;)
saba

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home